T02 and DNX893S in a 2016 4runner

Liquidmantis
New User

T02 and DNX893S in a 2016 4runner

Post by Liquidmantis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Okay, so I'm getting this all wired up and most everything works, I just need the USB adapter and now I found out that the SAT-T02 adapter is what hooks up the factory GPSr. I had skipped that because I thought it was just for the satellite radio which I've got no use for.

Questions:
1. Is there no connection for a standard FM/HD radio antenna? I found another solution but don't see anything from iDatalink/Maestro.
2. I don't have working TPMS (My 4R is a Trail Premium, if it matters). All the other on-board connectivity and feature tweaks work though.
3. What does the OBDC plug do? I've tried everything both with it connected and without it and everything still seems to work fine via CANBUS. It doesn't have any affect on making TPMS work either. Can I ignore it? Hopefully so because I have an Automatic connector always plugged in.
4. Is the factory microphone not retained? I have some extra 1/8" cables that I assume are optional SWI connectors for non-datalink installs. Do I have to use the aftermarket mic?

Thanks!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: T02 and DNX893S in a 2016 4runner

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:53 am

1. We do not make FM antenna adapters, just satellite radio and GPS.

2 and 3. OBD2 does the TPMS.

4. We are unable to retain the OEM microphone. You will need to install the aftermarket microphone.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Liquidmantis
New User

Post by Liquidmantis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Okay, I got my adapter cables and finished up my install today. Everything is working great, I actually used a Positap for the ODBII connector so that I could still use my Automatic adapter. Now I get TPMS data and the Automatic still logs.

Something interesting is that my unit has constant power. I ran the constant and switched hots separately, although I had considered wiring it up for constant hot off my add-on relay/fuse box that I'll be wiring to a second battery, yet even off the factory wiring the head unit isn't switched now. It was when I initially was testing everything, as I ended up turning on the Accessory Power During Crank (or whatever it's called) option so that the unit didn't reboot between ACC and turning over the motor. I disabled that setting but I still have constant power now.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:35 am

It sounds like the gray/red wire that runs down to the OBD2 is back-feeding and keeping the radio on. We have seen this in other TO2 vehicles. You could isolate this by putting a diode on that gray/red wire.

Another thing you can try: On the TO2 harness, there is a resistor on that gray/red wire. What you would do is cut the resistor out and leave the gray/red wire "open", so that it is no longer hooked up to the wire that is supplying 12 volts. When you do this, the gray/red is still hooked to your OBD2, and still hooked to the input of the maestro, but it's no longer hooked up to the wire that is back-feeding and sending the voltage. HOWEVER; this modification may allow the radio to turn on/off with the key, but you might lose your TPMS function.

If you have any questions on any of the above, don't hesitate to give us a call- it's MUCH easier to explain on the phone than in writing.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Liquidmantis
New User

Post by Liquidmantis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Ah ha! Thanks for the solution. That would explain why I didn't see this during my initial testing a few days ago as I didn't have the ODBII connector hooked up. Is there a risk (other than battery drain) with the unit as it is? Is it potentially drawing too much current over the ODB bus this way or is it just a logic level trigger?

Liquidmantis
New User

Post by Liquidmantis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 am

As an update to the above, awhile back I identified the issue came from having the Automatic adapter also plugged in. Without that the power behavior is as expected.

I've got a separate issue that I've been meaning to post about though, which may just be a HU or CarPlay quirk. I have my steering wheel's 4-way "d-pad" programmed with these settings:

* Up (press): Show Nav screen
* Up (hold): Show front camera
* Down (press): Show Gauge screen
* Down (hold): Show TPMS screen (this is an awesome feature for airing down when off-roading.)

This all works as expected everywhere except in CarPlay. From CarPlay the only one that directly works is the Up press to switch to the HU's Nav screen. It toggles between Nav and CarPlay. However, while the CarPlay screen is displayed neither of the two Down functions work. If I toggle to the Nav screen and use them they do, so it's a very minor inconvenience at most.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:59 am

That would be a Kenwood thing, as all we do is send the command to the radio. Once it is there, the radio itself is what is in control at that point. I would recommend asking Kenwood if they are aware of the issue.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “TO2 radio replacement solution”