09 Tacoma with Maestro RR - ODBII inop

SkyDork
New User

09 Tacoma with Maestro RR - ODBII inop

Post by SkyDork » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 am

Howdy folks! I just installed my new Pioneer AVH-2330NEX in my 2009 Tacoma TRD Sport with non JBL system. I used the Maestro RR with TO1 harness. I flashed the RR to match my configuration and the install went fine - seemingly. The OEM steering wheel controls work, the audio works, but the OBD-II data link does not, nor does the parking brake override! The car data and gauge functions are greyed out on the headunit.

I've rechecked the OBD connection and it seems to match up to the install sheet (the only 3-pin plug on the harness). I have an UltraGauge mounted and it works fine. When that is unplugged and the RR cable plugged into the OBD port, there is no response at the headunit. That would indicate that the RR isn't transmitting the serial data to the headunit properly. And now I'm lost on it.

The parking brake issue is because I didn't connect that directly to the switch. No problems there. But I wouldn't expect that the interfere with the OBDII data. Does it? Do I need to flash the RR specifically for this at all? Did I do something else incorrectly on the install? Anything else I need to check to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!!!

billr
ADS Team

Re: 09 Tacoma with Maestro RR - ODBII inop

Post by billr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:04 am

Hello,
With our interface, if there is anything else on the OBD2 requesting information (Ultra Gauge, Scan tool, programmer), it shuts down so not to interfere with whatever else is connected. Once it shuts down it requires a cycle of the key to make our interface listen to the OBD2 again as long as nothing else is connected to the OBD2 port.

as for the parking brake, some vehicles have the parking brake information on the vehicles data bus and some don't. if the interface isn't providing the parking brake it is highly likely that information just isn't there. It would require you to run the parking brake wire of the radio over to the parking brake of the vehicle.

hope this helps,
BIll
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

SkyDork
New User

Post by SkyDork » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks for the info Bill. Yeah, the UltraGauge is completely removed from the port while troubleshooting this a few times. I only plugged it back into the OBD port to verify the data link was still working. I'm still not able to get anything to show on the headunit though. I'll give it another try and check it out. I was consiering getting a y-adaptor for the OBD port to split the signal to the UltraGauge as well as the Maestro unit. If I can get the Maestro to read the serial data, that can be my next adventure to try. We'll see.

Yeah, I figured it would be easiest to check the data connection for parking brake first since it's easier. Once that didn't work I have to go to plan B with that. That's what I was expecting at least.

Thanks!

ypahuboy
New User

Post by ypahuboy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Although I don’t have anything else plugged in my OBDII, I had the same issue. My simple fix was to double check the harness connections on the Maestro. One of the small black plugs was not in good. I gave it a good push and heard it click in. Problem solved.

Return to “TO1 radio replacement solution”