Kenwood ddx6704s stuck in rear view

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
mikeyGlitz
New User

Kenwood ddx6704s stuck in rear view

Post by mikeyGlitz » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm working on installing an aftermarket radio and rear view camera into my 2012 Camry SE. I manage to get to the point in the installation where I've matched the wires color-for-color on the Kenwood harness and the T01 harness and the backup camera is being powered by the radio accessory power. I've got steering wheel controls and my backup camera on display.

There is one problem with my installation: when I put the car in reverse and then put it back into park, the display is still on the rear view camera. I can still switch back to any of the other screens on my Kenwood display by pushing any of the buttons, but it will not automatically switch back when I change gears. Also, I tested the connection with a volt meter and after putting the car in reverse once, the reverse wire (purple and white) is at 12v no matter what gear the car is in.

At this point I've tried turning the car on and off, disconnecting the idata maestro rr, and re-flashing the maestro rr twice and nothing seems to be working.

Is there anything I missed or got wrong?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Kenwood ddx6704s stuck in rear view

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 am

Your flash shows you have the TO2 firmware. If you have the TO1 harness and TO2 firmware, this is a mis-match, and will cause weird behavior like this. There are two options in this case: Exchange for the correct harness (which i recommend if you have a steering wheel with more than 8 audio-related buttons), or re-flash for a car that falls under the TO1 platform. If you go with option 2, you could flash as a 2011 Camry without JBL.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

chrisr99
New User

Post by chrisr99 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:16 pm

I believe I may have the same problem with a 2016 Toyota Highlander. I just had a Kenwood DDX9905S installed and the backup camera usually will stay on when I put the car in drive. I can usually hit the home, menu, or camera button to turn it off, however sometimes that doesn't work and I have to power the radio off. Every now and then the camera goes off when I go into drive, but very infrequently.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 am

Chrisr99,
What firmware and harness do you have? The Email you used for our forum doesn't line up with any of the RR flashes. If you have a TO2 harness with TO2 firmware, this is not the same problem.

If you have access to a multi-meter, check the purple/white wire on the maestro. If it only has voltage when you're in reverse, then the output drops out when you go back into drive, there is no firmware issue. In some Kenwoods, they listen too closely to what the gear position is on the data lines, and the screen can get stuck. If the analog purple/white reverse wire is working like it should, but the screen is still getting stuck, it's a Kenwood firmware bug.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

chrisr99
New User

Post by chrisr99 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Dara - Firmware is as follows.

Firmware name is : ADS-RR(SR)-TY02-DS
Firmware version: 02.10

Is this a T02 with 02 firmware then? If so maybe the purple/white wire?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:10 pm

It's what I suspected- you're not having the same issue as the OP. Meter your purple/white. If it only shows 12v when you're in reverse, but the Kenwood stays on reverse cam, then there is a radio firmware issue. This bug was present in previous models, too, so it's totally possible that Kenwood might have missed it when they compiled the firmware for their new radios.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Toyota”