2016 dodge grand caravan 130s/res

Mizz
New User

2016 dodge grand caravan 130s/res

Post by Mizz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi there. I just went aftermarket with my van with the kenwood ddx6705s. I flashed the maestro rr as from what i understand my van should have the uconnect built it. But when i try to set it up. Uconnect is greyed out? Highly confusing lol was hoping to get it all set up before i work on fixing the kids dvd players but its on my nerves with constant back and forth from parking lot.

Any help would be amazing right now.

billr
ADS Team

Re: 2016 dodge grand caravan 130s/res

Post by billr » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:44 pm

Uconnect can either be a separate unit in the van or could be built into the OEM radio. When you flashed the Maestro unit we ask for the 3 letter code that was on the OEM radio (normally on the bottom right of the face of the radio). This will determine if Uconnect is able to be retained. If your radio has RES as the 3 letters check and see if there is a phone icon on the radio. If it does have a phone icon the Uconnect can be retained, if not the Uconnect cannot be retained.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

Mizz
New User

Post by Mizz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:52 pm

The res was already confirmed in thread title, but the oem has both the voice and phone buttons on the top row, side by side. I did connect the blue/white wire amp turn on to the p. Cont and i have my own amp connected too. I cannot confirm if speakers are properly wired correct (as it have to double check those) but i can confirm the uconnect icons in the menu show up available, but do not allow use. As i tested with a usb in the passenger side storage. Just goes back to radio.

Mizz
New User

Post by Mizz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:21 pm

Okay. Update to my issue. Uconnect is working. Speakers are wired correct. I even set up my phone to it. But, the oem settings has it greyed out. 🤔 Not sure if something is up with that or not. I basically never recieved any options during first boot to use either uconnect or the kenwood ddx6705s Bluetooth.

Finally got an updated stereo to be able to use these functions, and something else pops up 😂

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:22 pm

What is the LED on the RR module doing when the vehicle is on and the radio is powered up? Also, have you checked to make sure the system firmware on the Kenwood is up to date?
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Mizz
New User

Post by Mizz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:47 pm

Maestro is green light while vehicle on. Gauges/tpms info works. I will confirm stereo f/w shortly. But if its that....i wont be enjoying a beer tonight.

Mizz
New User

Post by Mizz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:50 am

Maestro is green when running. And stereo update did not ungrey the uconnect bluetooth in oem options

Mizz
New User

Post by Mizz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am

I believe i figured it out. But install guide downloaded afyer flashing says it should give option . The ddx6705s is not on list for being compatible with i assume the idatalink interface. So i tgink thats why uconnect bluetooth oem options are greyed out?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:52 pm

No, that's not it. That radio is definitely iDatalink compatible, or you wouldn't have access to those menus at all.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Mizz
New User

Post by Mizz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:16 pm

I speak specific to the interface not the module, unless this list http://maestro.idatalink.com/compatible-radios is not the one i think it is? As i believe this is the list for the changed look of the stereo screens? But it is confusing as i have wiring correct. Correct f/w on module. The new stereo with the serial number since old one didnt due to referb.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:19 pm

You're definitely barking up the wrong tree here. That radio is listed as compatible so it should allow the uConnect to be retained, if at all possible. The only reasons it would be grayed out is if the radio is doing it for some reason (if you were connected via wireless carplay, as an example), or if the uConnect isn't detected in the car.

If the uConnect is retained and detected, it should allow you to go into that menu. Here's the question; if you're using a radio equipped with CarPlay, do you really want to retain uConnect? The two systems tend to conflict with each other, so we advise to choose one system and use it. In this scenario, CarPlay or Android Auto would give you so many more features than uConnect does.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Mizz
New User

Post by Mizz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Oh by far uconnect does suck majorly. And i do prefer android auto. But this is more so the wanting to make sure it all works. So minus the actual interface change, that i was hoping to actually get the feel of it. I also did mention above that uconnect is working to some extent. But the list as best as i can think of is here.

These are the exact things that work:
-maestro rr is green during boot of system.
-gauges (speed/rpm stuff)
-tpms (tire pressure)
-uconnect functions, via voice commands i can connect phone.

Things that don't, even with flashing uconnect:
-uconnect oem options
-usb in glovebox, i assume due to uconnect issues

If there is more i have no clue 🤣 i am going to grill this to kenwood as well. Mostly because i do understand by all accounts it should work fluidly, But for some reason it is not. It could be my module, could be the new stereo i got on Wednesday. One thing i now know for sure is my vehicle does have built in uconnect 🤔 i even did the fuse/battery disconnect to see if it worked. Maybe i'll check vin for making sure its exact year later too.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 am

It sounds like the majority of features are working as they should. If you can activate uConnect voice commands and hear her when she talks to you, then uConnect IS working.

Here's the thing, though- if you think uConnect sucks, and you prefer to use Android Auto, we highly recommend not trying to retain uConnect. Here's why:
-If you keep uConnect, the phone and voice buttons on the steering wheel will activate uConnect, NOT Android Auto. Assuming you are using AA, you would probably want your phone/VR buttons on your steering wheel to be able to activate AA a lot more seamlessly, right?
-If you try to keep both, AA and uConnect will conflict with each other, and that's definitely not a good experience for anyone to have.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “CH1 radio replacement solution”