iPod Issues With MDI

Group using the VW1 firmware for Media Device Interface (MDI), Multi-Funtion Display (MFD), bluetooth, amplifier turn on, amplifier digital fader, amplifier gain adjustment, steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist, Navigation arrows on MFD, climate status screen...
mpaquettejr
New User

iPod Issues With MDI

Post by mpaquettejr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:14 pm

I have an iPod Classic (160gb) plugged into my MDI port and I leave it in the center console. Most of the times I shut off the car and turn it back on, there is a delay on the iPod playing and then it starts at the first song (alphabetically). Other times it resumes right where it left off. I thought maybe the battery in the iPod but it doesn't seem to make a difference- sometimes if the car is off for hours, it resumes fine. Other times, I shut off the car for a couple minutes, such as running into a store or filling with gas, and it pauses then starts at the beginning.

I have tried 2 different iPod classics and 2 different MDI cables with the same results. Any thoughts on what this could be and how to correct?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: iPod Issues With MDI

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 am

This is a VW thing. We don't control the MDI or how it reads from your iPod; we simply allow the text and the audio to pass through to the new radio.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

mpaquettejr
New User

Post by mpaquettejr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Okay, so switching it up a bit, I bought a MDI to USB adapter in order to use a thumb drive so I don't have to deal with the iPod issues any longer.

I loaded a 64 gb thumbdrive with music; structured ARTIST FOLDER --> ALBUM FOLDER(s) --> songs. The stereo will only play/show songs inside the first ARTIST FOLDER. There are 2 ALBUM FOLDERS inside this one and it plays all those songs but nothing else.

I don't really think dumping thousands of songs onto the root of the thumbdrive is the best option; how should the folder structure be on the thumbdrive?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 pm

I would consult the vehicle owner's manual; the MDI section of the manual might tell you how the flash drive file structure should be formatted.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Volkswagen”