Maestro RR, VW T Harness, Audi A4 2005 question(s)

Group using the VW1 firmware for Media Device Interface (MDI), Multi-Funtion Display (MFD), bluetooth, amplifier turn on, amplifier digital fader, amplifier gain adjustment, steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist, Navigation arrows on MFD, climate status screen...
DarcyAudi

Maestro RR, VW T Harness, Audi A4 2005 question(s)

Post by DarcyAudi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I am considering placing an RR behind the Pioneer AVIC-8200 in an Audi A4 Quattro Base/Sedan/2.0 BPG. RIght now, I use a third-party SWI and high-low amplifier corrector, but the SWI is far less capable than the Maestro.

1) Can the Maestro OBDII connections be made instead to the CANH/CANL on the stock Audi/VW radio connector?

2) Unclear on why the "OEM amplifier cannot be retained". Can I wire the AVIC's amplified wires to the front outputs but use the rear, line-level outputs for the rear ('active') speakers?

3) If that's bad (impossible EQ or fader results), what are my options?

4) Or by 'amplifier that cannot be retained', is this just warning me that the antenna amplifier is not supported? (I have an inline amp for that already.)

5) What is the Maestro RR's audio aux input to the Pioneer? Does the Maestro provide audio confirmations or alerts?

Looking forward to installing this.. thanks for the information. Sorry if I have raised old questions; * did do some basic searches for these topics first.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: Maestro RR, VW T Harness, Audi A4 2005 question(s)

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 am

All connections must be made in the location we show them in the installation diagram. Different CAN wiring in different areas of the vehicle provide different messages, for different feature retention.

We do not support amplifier retention for your vehicle, in that the amplifier will not be active at all. Any audio from the headunit must be run to the speakers or amplifiers you are using, as we do not retain functionality of the factory amplified audio system.

The 3.5mm jack supplies audio from factory systems in the vehicle we retain, to the aftermarket headunit. In your vehicle there are no systems we retain that would require an audio signal be sent to the headunit, so that connection need not be made.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

DarcyAudi

Post by DarcyAudi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 am

OK, I'll need to go it on my own to figure out the rear speakers.

Any hope for support of the instrument cluster MFD in a 2005 Audi?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am

Yes, the MFD will be retained.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Jaazielc3
New User

Post by Jaazielc3 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:46 pm

My plug it’s different from the vw1 maestro harness did you hardware the harness

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 am

Jaazielc3 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:46 pm
My plug it’s different from the vw1 maestro harness did you hardware the harness
If your plug is different than the VW1, this solution will not work for you. Hardwiring will not work because the codes on the car's data lines are different when the plug doesn't match.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

DarcyAudi

Post by DarcyAudi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 pm

My Maestro is here, flashed, and I'm going to plan on routing the AIVC's amplified (14w) outputs for the front speakers, and sending the line outputs to the rear/subwoofers, which are 20w amplified. From there, the audio balancing features of the AVIC will, I hope, adjust for the slight differences.

DarcyAudi

Post by DarcyAudi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

I may have misunderstood what "the MFD is retained". I was hoping that, like the original Symphony radio, the upper third of the MFD would show radio station and RDS information. I'd gotten hopeful that it might even show track and artist information for CD and perhaps BT Audio.

What I'm seeing is that the MFD upper third is blank. The CAN bus between the car's audio plugs and the Maestro appears to be OK, as I can change sources, tracks, and volume using the steering wheel controls.

Perhaps "MFD is retained" only means that it doesn't go totally dark?

LED on the Maestro blinks green when I send steering wheel commands. Maestro RR (512) 3.0 . Firmware ADS-RR(SR)-VW01-DS . Audi A4 Quattro, 2005, 2.0FSI.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 pm

What color is your MFD? We only support the ones that light up white right now. The older ones light are red, and they use different comm messages so we don't currently support them.

If yours is red, the MFD should continue to work for all other vehicle related functions after the radio is removed (showing the odometer, etc), but you will lose the ability to have the radio data show up on the gauge cluster.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

DarcyAudi

Post by DarcyAudi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Mine is multicolor, with basic text in white and the divider lines in red. Alerts are yellow; OKs are green; door-open, hood-latch-open, etc alerts are red.

I did ask about this, but had no idea that I needed to be more precise with my question.

Well, bad news and good news I guess. Bad that the MFD loses functionality from its stock radio function. Good that this doesn't mean my harness is bad or my Maestro is defective.

-wt

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 pm

For anyone who stumbles across this thread and has a similar vehicle, a little clarification:

This solution is compatible with the Symphony 2+ system, but not the Symphony 2 (the plugs and the can messages are different). If you remove your radio and find that the VW1 does not fit into the OEM radio connector, that vehicle trim is not compatible with our solution.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Volkswagen”