2013 Audi A3 illumination issue

Group using the VW1 firmware for Media Device Interface (MDI), Multi-Funtion Display (MFD), bluetooth, amplifier turn on, amplifier digital fader, amplifier gain adjustment, steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist, Navigation arrows on MFD, climate status screen...
mikep554
New User

2013 Audi A3 illumination issue

Post by mikep554 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:28 am

Hello, I installed an RR module into my US market 2013 Audi A3, along with a Pioneer AVIC-8200-NEX. I have working steering wheel controls, reverse signal, handbrake, speed pulse, all working as expected, and I also get working engine gauges, door open indicators, etc., so I'm pretty sure everything is connected correctly.

The one issue is the illumination signal. When I have the headlight switch in the off, parking lights, or on position, the head unit is dimmed, and I can confirm on the head unit's status menu that the illumination signal status is "on". However, if I put the headlight switch into the DRL position, the head unit goes full brightness, and I can confirm on the status menu that the illumination signal has changed to "off". I am running the AUD01-DS firmware, downloaded and installed onto the unit on November 4th, this past Saturday, so it should be up to date. Any ideas if this can be fixed?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2013 Audi A3 illumination issue

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:07 pm

If you measure the voltage on the orange wire of the VW1 t-harness, what voltage does it read when the lights are off? And what voltage does it read when the lights are on?
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

mikep554
New User

Re: 2013 Audi A3 illumination issue

Post by mikep554 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 am

Thanks for the quick reply Dara. With the headlight switch in the off position, I show 11.45 volts. In DRL I get 0.027 volts. On parking lights I get 11.41 volts, and on full headlights I get 11.32. I think the small drop in voltage going from off -> parking -> headlights is probably just a result of the load on the battery as I did not start the engine to take these readings (the behavior is the same with engine running or not). So these are all effectively getting 12 volts at any position other than DRL, and 0 voltage at the DRL position.

Return to “Volkswagen”