ILX-107 audio problem.

Group using the VW1 firmware for Media Device Interface (MDI), Multi-Funtion Display (MFD), bluetooth, amplifier turn on, amplifier digital fader, amplifier gain adjustment, steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist, Navigation arrows on MFD, climate status screen...
Locoelectrician
New User

ILX-107 audio problem.

Post by Locoelectrician » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 pm

I’ll try to keep this short and sweet if possible. 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium with Fender audio. Last night I installed an Alpine ILX-107 with no real issues. Flashed the Maestro and plugged the 7643 wires in. Sounded fantastic and everything worked as it should. Turned the car on and off numerous times in the garage while playing and listening and all was well. Got up this morning and when I got in the car, the audio sounded very compressed and the subwoofer was not working. Also the factory mic no longer worked for Siri or phone calls. The call would connect, and I could hear them, but they couldn’t hear me. Hooked VCDS up and started testing speakers and got no response from the subwoofer at all. As a last resort, I reinstalled the RNS510 and the sound was once again perfect. Took the maestro in the house and flashed it again. Took out the RNS510, reinstalled the Alpine, and once again the sound was fantastic and the subwoofer was working, but the factory mic was still dead (tested it when I reinstalled the RNS and it worked fine). Listened to some music for a while while putting all the trim and things back on and it sounded great. Went in the house for about an hour and when I went back out, it was back to sounding compressed and the sub is again dead. It seems that once the system (maestro, alpine, or car) goes to “sleep” and is then woken back up, that everything goes to crap. Not sure what to do other than leave the car on at all times which would get expensive. When the sound goes to crap, the steering wheel buttons all still work and the gauge function is fine which tells me the maestro is functioning, but something is definitely wrong.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: ILX-107 audio problem.

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 am

The OEM microphone will not work for Alpine's bluetooth. If you pair to the Alpine, you need to use their microphone. That is the most common culprit with OEM bluetooth. Also, make sure that your phone is no longer paired to the VW bluetooth.

As for the sound, we don't really control that- you might try hooking a test speaker to the output of the alpine to see if it's distorted and sounds bad coming right out of the deck.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Locoelectrician
New User

Post by Locoelectrician » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 am

I have not replied in a while because I've been working with the phone support people. Nearly everything is sorted except the factory bluetooth. It absolutely refuses to work and connecting VCDS i get an error under telephone that says "right and left telephone audio channels shorted to ground". If I put the factory radio back in I can get the error to clear and factory bluetooth works fine (with factory radio). Over and over in the instructions it says that you can only be paired to either the Alpine or the VW, but there is no way to have wireless carplay without being paired to the Alpine. Is this a compatibility problem and Crutchfield is incorrect when it says I can retain factory bluetooth? Maestro problem? Alpine? Not sure how many more times I can pull my dash apart to reflash the maestro module as I've already broken multiple clips.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:40 am

Those guides were written before this technology existed. It's true- you can't pair to both systems at a time for hands-free calling without them conflicting.

Unfortunately, I think you're stuck getting rid of your OEM bluetooth and using Alpine's. If you had a different radio, this might not be the case. But based on how the wireless carplay works, your hands are tied in this situation.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Locoelectrician
New User

Post by Locoelectrician » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:43 am

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thank you. The alpine handsfree calling performance is pretty sad compared to the factory VW.

Locoelectrician
New User

Post by Locoelectrician » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:54 pm

So I finally got this to work with the factory mic, but why the maestro module couldn’t do it is beyond me. I followed the factory wiring diagram for my car and found out that the mic is wired into the plug for the factory radio. I got some pins to add to the plug so I could use the factory mic and was surprised to see the holes needed already had pins in them with wires going to the maestro. I’m positive this was the problem all along because I kept getting errors that the telephone signals were shorted to ground and I don’t know how much colors matter, but red from maestro was on negative and black was on positive. Anyways, I pulled those pins out and added my own that are wired to a 1/8 jack and plug into the alpines mic input. I have the Bluetooth module unplugged (and it’s in the center console, not under the seat as the directions indicate) and everything works perfectly.

What I do not understand is that everyone has told me since day one that the factory mic could not work because there was no way to connect to it, when you are absolutely connected to it straight out of the box. I’m not sure if a firmware update would make mine work with the factory maestro wiring or not, but I didn’t feel like waiting for an answer so we just did it our way for now. Would love to hear some feedback on this as it seems there is quite a bit of misinformation about what will and will not work on this car from both crutchfield and maestro. Anyways, I’m glad I got it sorted and it was a learning experience for sure. Maybe my findings can help the next person or help the product be better.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:19 am

It's rare, but some trims have the bluetooth module built into the radio. In those cases, we don't retain the OEM bluetooth system or the OEM mic. Sorry about the confusion.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Volkswagen”