2013 F150 Kenwood DNX574S takes a long time to turn on.

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
JoshErnst1074
New User

2013 F150 Kenwood DNX574S takes a long time to turn on.

Post by JoshErnst1074 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Hello, I am having an interesting issue. I have a 2013 F-150 with the standard Sync/Steering wheel controls without the screen. I purchased a Kenwood DNX574S, iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module, iDatalink Connec HRN-RR-FO1 Factory Integration Adapter, with the Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter from Crutchfield. I also opted to have Crutchfield build the whole harness for me with all of the plugs.

About 50% of the time when I start the truck, I see F-150 built ford tough on the top screen and it gets stuck there, as if Sync is not actually booting up. The Kenwood head unit also remains black and will not turn on and I lose all steering wheel functions. If I wait anywhere in between 2-10 minutes the F-150 built ford tough clears and the Kenwood head unit boots up and I get all sync functions. Everything works, but sometimes I don't have this issue at all. Sometimes I start the truck, I see the Ford logo, and the head unit boots up instantly. So it's making things difficult to narrow down what the problem actually is.

Now sometimes while driving that logo appears again and I lose all sync function. When this happens I turn the truck off, open and close the doors, and while this sequence would normally kill the head unit, the head unit will not turn off and the only way to kill everything is to disconnect and reconnect the battery. This happens less than 50% of the time but it does happen.

Now on to what I have tried, I have updated the kenwood head unit to the latest, I have reflashed as well as performed a full reset the Maestro RR unit, and have rechecked all wiring. Like I said everything works as advertised once the head unit finally boots up, but it makes it incredibly inconvenient to not have music or my headunit for the first 10 minutes of driving. Thanks in advance.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2013 F150 Kenwood DNX574S takes a long time to turn on.

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:29 pm

Have you metered the red heavy-gauge wire coming off of the RR's 3-pin plug (with red/yellow/black wires) ? I'm curious if it is giving you voltage as soon as the key is on. If it is doing that, the maestro is doing its job, and this would indicate an issue with the radio. All the RR does is supplies voltage to the radio to tell it to turn on. Past that, we cannot control how fast the radio boots up.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

JoshErnst1074
New User

Post by JoshErnst1074 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Yes its very strange. So I did some process of elimination earlier today and found that the Ford logo getting stuck happening every time the head unit would take more than 5 minutes to turn on had to be directly involved with sync starting up. I guess the CAN would be a more appropriate term to use. Disconnecting the battery did not seem to reset sync and found that in the head unit I could do a "Master Reset" of sync within the headunit. I tried that and the problem seemed to have gone away. Not sure if it is going to come back but we'll see.

JoshErnst1074
New User

Post by JoshErnst1074 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Okay so I am thinking its a problem with an aftermarket remote start that was installed in the vehicle before I bought it. When I push the lock doors button on the auto start remote it turns the headunit on for half a second. Doing a master reset on sync seems to solve the problem temporarily but it seems after remote starting the vehicle it hangs up where sync is supposed to boot up. Is there a way to flash the Maestro RR to not use sync and just retain steering wheel buttons?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:09 pm

It sounds like they are pulsing the ignition as part of the disarm process. That brief ignition pulse could be your issue. If you want to not use the Sync system you can reflash the RR and turn it off in the flashing process. This will allow you to reuse those buttons for other functions as well
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

JoshErnst1074
New User

Post by JoshErnst1074 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:12 pm

Okay so to update I have tried a few things. I reflashed the Maestro RR without sync. Problem still persists, only now I have found out something else that triggers it. If I turn the key to accessory and let the headunit boot up all is well. If I go from Accessory to engine start from there it hangs up and all I see is F-150 Built Ford Tough, and the headunit will not turn on right away. It takes about 3-5 minutes to boot up.

I did meter the heavy red gauge wire coming out of the Maestro when its "hanging up" and its reading 0 volts, however while its still frozen the yellow wire is reading 12 or 14 if the engine is running. After waiting 3-5 minutes when the headunit finally boots up the heavy red gauge wire will read 12-14 volts respectively.

Any idea whats going on here? I am at a loss. Is the Maestro unit bad? I'm assuming that red wire coming out of the Maestro is provided power to the headunit. Whereas the yellow wire is power provided TO the Maestro?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 pm

If you start the truck by pausing for a second or two at the ignition position does it still have the issue? We might not be seeing the ignition timing bits of data correctly if they are happening too quickly. Something we might be able to dig deeper into if that is in fact the case with a pause at ignition before start.
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

JoshErnst1074
New User

Post by JoshErnst1074 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Okay so tried what you suggested. Wait a few seconds at ignition and then cranked. All was well for a few days but it just had a hang up. Took 2 minutes to turn on this time. Still seem to be having issues.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm

What is the user ID that you flashed the RR with? I will check in the AM to see if we might be able to make a beta to have you try. We need to see the history of your unit and have the account to post the beta to.
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

JoshErnst1074
New User

Post by JoshErnst1074 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Apologize for the late reply. Had to go out of town for work. My account name is JoshErnst1074

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:01 am

When I looked at the history of your RR there are a few bad flashing in there from previous attempts at getting it working. What I would recommend while I see if we can get something betawise from the engineers from you would be to reflash the unit as a different non ford vehicle, like an 07 Tahoe, and then reflash it back to your truck after that one goes thru. Before plugging the unit back into the truck, press and hold the programming button on the side of the RR under the LED, while plugging the power back in. Don't let go of the button until the LED starts flashing red at you. Once it does, let go of the button and reconnect the other harnesses. Let us know if that works, and we will work on that beta firmware if not.
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

JoshErnst1074
New User

Post by JoshErnst1074 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Okay I will try and give that a shot when I get a chance. Thanks.

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”