Did I buy the wrong interface?

Analog Steering Wheel Interface
jkbrowne
New User

Did I buy the wrong interface?

Post by jkbrowne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 2012 F-250 Super Duty truck, trim level XLT. It came with the bare bones radio (not even a CD player) and no Ford Sync. When I got the truck I knew I wanted to update the radio and the steering wheel was very worn anyway so I put in a brand new leather steering wheel with audio & sync controls. I just purchased a Jensen VX7023 double-din head unit and an iDataLink Maestro SW hoping to install it this weekend. After doing some research, I'm a-little confused on whether I bought the right interface and how some of the wiring works. I see there are interfaces that let you "retain sync" but I don't want to retain sync, I just want to be able to use all of the buttons on my steering wheel.

- Are the buttons in my 2012 F-250 Super Duty resistance based and will the Maestro SW work for me?

- According to the install instructions, there are wires from the Maestro SW that connect to the radio harness. That makes sense to me. But the phone buttons had "special instructions" next to them that I assume are the wires that need to be spliced at the sync module. Since I have the Sync steering wheel but no sync module do I still need to splice these wires?

- And finally, stupid question but I can't find the answer. Could someone clarify what the "signal" and "feed" wires are with regard to a steering wheel interface circuit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Did I buy the wrong interface?

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Short answer: Yes, you bought the wrong interface.

The 2012 SuperDuty isn't compatible with this piece because the steering wheel controls are done on a data line, and the SW can only read analog circuits. The parts that would work are the maestro RR and the FO1 T-harness.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

jkbrowne
New User

Re: Did I buy the wrong interface?

Post by jkbrowne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Well that certainly is a bummer. But thank you for confirming this for me.

Return to “Maestro SW”